My anxiety has always started in my stomach, a churning of intestinal chaos that leaves me feeling nauseous and planning my escape to the nearest bathroom.
From there, it travels into my limbs, causing an unpleasant tingling sensation. My breathing becomes shallow and my head starts to spin, making me feel like I might fall down on my ass and go boom.
My thoughts will turn dark and I’ll start to whip through possible scenarios.
- My daughter got car-jacked by a gang of drug fueled ruffians. That’s why she hasn’t answered my text message yet.
- My mom fell in the bathroom and didn’t bring her phone with her, that’s why I keep getting her voicemail when I call (repeatedly, by the way).
- My dog sneezed 3 times, she has bronchitis or something, I just know it.
- This headache isn’t my allergies kicking up, it’s the beginning of an inoperable brain tumor.
- What’s that awful sound? Holy shit, the world is ending, I’m not ready yet!!
- All of my teeth are going to get infected because I can’t afford to see a dentist. I’ll end up having to eat baby food and never smile with my mouth open again. (Okay, this one has some truth to it.)
I loathe anxiety.
So tell me, what symptoms do you experience when you’re anxious?
Or are you one of the lucky ones who never really gets anxious? (And if so, what’s your fucking secret?!!!)